Certify Effort Reports
Effort must be reported and certified for all individuals who receive salary support from a sponsored project or who expend committed effort on a sponsored project regardless of receiving salary support from the sponsor. Effort reporting is BTI’s means of providing assurance to sponsors that:
- Salaries charged to sponsored projects are reasonable in relation to the work performed, and
- Faculty and staff have met their commitments to sponsored projects.
PIs are expected to certify the effort of their lab members on a quarterly basis. This can be done in several ways:
- Through the BTI web portal (instructions below),
- By signing the hard copy print reports, or
- Approving a scanned copy of the report via e-mail.
Your grants manager will work with you to determine the best way to secure your approval of the effort certification report.
Certifying Effort through the Webportal
PIs can certify their quarterly effort reports through the BTI Web Portal. If you do not know your login or password for the web portal, please contact Information Services. You must be on the private BTI network to use this feature. Those accessing the network from a public, wireless or non-Cornell network must create a VPN connection to the BTI network.
Step 1: Log into the Web Portal
- Web Portal login
- Use your NetID as User ID.
- To request a new password e-mail BTI Help.
- Password can be changed by clicking “Change BTI password” from left menu.
Step 2: Access Effort Reports
- Select and click Effort Reports from left menu.
Step 3: Choose Human Resources
- Select the month you are certifying
Step 4: Review and Approve Effort Report
- Select the Approve or Denied button at the bottom of the page. You MUST select okay after approving or denying the report.
Note: Because the Web Portal is connecting to our system, it may take a few minutes to load your effort reports. Please be patient.
Email BTI Help if you have technical problems certifying your effort reports.